Thursday, January 12, 2012

Do you think I am too young to own a boat?

I just turned 18 a few weeks ago. My parents want to get me a car as a graduation present that is worth around 25000 dollars. However I don't want a car. I want a small sailboat that I can live in. I know it sounds very weird but this is what I want. There is a really nice boat that is up for sale. It's only 25 feet and the owner asks for 27000 dollars. I fell in love with the moment I saw it.

I have been sailing for 2 years now. My dad owns another boat, a 42 feet bavaria in another city. We have to catch a plane to go to our boat and that sucks! And even when we go there I don't get to spend enough time aboard because we have relatives who live there and I am supposed to be with them.

Before I break the news to my parents I am considering if I can handle the responsibility of a boat in college. There is a marina very close to college and it will cost me 200 dollars every month for rent.

There are a lot of things I don't know about boats but I want to learn. I will also be working part time and will get a paycheck around 400 dollars every month.

So what do you think? Do you think I should do it and live my dreams or wait until I am older?Do you think I am too young to own a boat?
This sounds like a wonderful dream and I do not want to be a person that crushes it for you. There are a lot of things you don't mention, like where you live, that could determine how well this will work for you. I lived aboard my 35' sailboat with one other person for about 6 months in Los Angeles and I loved it! Yes it was crowded and leaving just minimal items out can make it look unkept, but I loved it. 24' is a small boat but there are many that have cruised aboard a Dana 24' which is a very seaworthy boat. I think you need to really think through what this will be like. First, are you sure you can live aboard in the marina? This is getting harder and harder to do with more restrictions on people living aboard. If you can, I'm sure the cost will be higher per month due to your usage of services (water, electricity, garbage). Does the marina have decent bathrooms, shower and laundry facilities? Do they rent storage lockers? You will find you may need more clothing than can easily be stored on your boat plus other various items (printer, books). What about transportation to school and for shopping? You will probably want insurance on your boat, most marinas require it, what will that cost be and will they insure you if you are living aboard? Can you get a reliable internet connection at the marina? This will be important, it certainly was for me, and for a student I would think a necessity. If you research this you'll get a fair idea of what your costs will be each month. Every boat requires some TLC and you will want to keep your boat in the best condition possible. Safety first, comforts later. Best of luck to you. Be fair in your own assessment so you know what you're getting into but don't ever let people crush your dream!



TerryDo you think I am too young to own a boat?
there are pros and cons either way.

young drivers tend to not drive in the safest fashion or properly maintain their vehicles, so a $25k vehicle for a young driver is likely to be in the junkyards in 5 years.

cheap but safe and reliable is the best car until you've learned to drive safely and to properly maintain it. if they really want to put you in something new, hyundai makes some pretty good cars i would suggest as being much better for a young driver.



boats, they make horrible commuter vehicles. for some reason most places you need to go arent right by the water......

even when they are, speed and fuel economy (or fun with wind conditions) make them bad choices more often then not.



boats are constant maintainence if you want them to stay nice. an apartment never needs a tuneup...... and cant be crashed into anything.







what i would suggest is trying to split it. get a cheap yet safe and relaible car for well under $25k and try to find a nice sailboat within the budget of what is left over.Do you think I am too young to own a boat?
Unfortunately there's other expenses in owning a boat, especially a birthed sail boat other than its initial cost, basically how they get the name Hole in the water you throw money into. although some marinas are very nice with public showers and Laundromats some are not, and $200 sounds pretty cheap for such a marina, so you might want to check, because pumping out your black water tank all the time can be a pain and costs money, plus most also charge for water and electricity if you live aboard, another thing to consider. and with an income of $400 you may not even be able to afford a diet of top raman let alone a bus pass to get to school and work after all is said and done. and just a little heads up, in this economy you can buy a boat a lot cheaper, the marina I keep my boat has a whole covered birth section full of nice boats that have gone through lien sale you can buy dirt cheap.
25' is very very quickly going to seem like a prison you need a larger boat to live aboard secondly living aboard is by no means cheap.
Paying mariner fees is not the only cost you will incur.
You would be better off with a 42' boat and even then when its your only home can quickly be come cramped!
You have not fallen in love with a boat but the idea of owning a floating home which I can guarantee after a remarkable short time you will grow to hate and loath!
Your choice is far too small to be practical or comfortable even for a midget!
OH GOODY your perants will pay for your new shiny proison cell!
I repeat its far too small for a live on and many marineers will not allow people to live on board any way!
  • national tire and battery
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment