Thursday, January 12, 2012

Outboard Motor Boat or Outdrive-Type Boat, Which To Buy?

I am looking for a boat to buy (changing over to power boat from a sailboat) I have never bought a power boat before (about 13-16 foot). After looking for years, I notice there are a lot of outdrive boats for sale cheap that the ads say the motors need work or they don't know what is wrong. I get the impression when you buy an outdrive boat you buy a pig in a poke.



Someone just said yesterday--don't buy an outdrive boat, they are always in the shop and you never get to use them: just stick to an outboard motor.

I am inclined to believe this advice. What do you think? (boats ranging in price from 5-10K used).Outboard Motor Boat or Outdrive-Type Boat, Which To Buy?
You wouldn't get a stern-drive in a boat that small so the question is void.Outboard Motor Boat or Outdrive-Type Boat, Which To Buy?
I agree with trunorth



But as for I/O vs Outboard well most people treat their boats as if they were a set of golf clubs they expect to be able to put them up for extended periods of time and then take it out. Wrong!



I have seem the same problem with Outboards if not properly stored or taken care of.



It's only the crazy fisherman, who uses his boat all year long in this part of the country who avoids this problem.Outboard Motor Boat or Outdrive-Type Boat, Which To Buy?
At that length, go outboard.



No brainer.
Well, if you buy OMC or Volvo sterndrives, then I would agree with that sentiment alot. I've always prefered Mercrusiers.



However, for someone who's been on the water for a lot of years with both outboard ski boats and I/O ski boats, bar none I like I/O's much better.



#1. First off, the fuel savings is immediately recognizable on I/O's. Unless you plan on getting an Merc Optimax, Evinrude/Johnson E-Tec, or a 4 stroke, plan on forking out the cash per gallon at the pump.



I can do a full day's worth of sightseeing and towing for two family's worth of people on my 16ft bowrider Merc inline-4 140 I/O on a 17 gallon tank and still have 3 gallons in reserve (just in case).



#2. No premix or oil injection pump headaches/stress. I'm not praying each minute that my oil injection pump doesn't fail/clog and burn up the engine.



I just do a pre-launch check on the engine and the oil level, then its go for launch.



#3. I don't need to have a diagnostic computer hooked up to my engine to troubleshoot something. Something I appreciate by low tech 1985 ignition design, though I wouldn't mind having electronic ignition added on later to rid of points.



#4. I don't have to pay a ton of money if the charging unit goes out on my I/O, just replace the alternator. On an outboard, that usually means the flywheel has to come off and replacement of an expensive stator.





The ONLY major negative side of I/O's is the outdrive section, that has to be checked and maintained. Gimble housing/bearing and bellows is the two main problem childs.



If you aren't inspecting and thinking regularly of maintainence, of course its gonna be in the shop regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment