Thursday, January 19, 2012

Why has my Xbox picture has gone all liney?

I got Kinect in November, a week or so later when playing BOps the screen went all liney. When I turned the console off and back on I got the error 74 (I think). I was 20 days out of the 3 yr warranty, so I got it fixed by a local shop who fix anything. Worked great after that.

Yesterday playing BOps I got the lines again. Turned it off and left it. Today I went to play Dance Central, started off fine then the camera stopped being able to see me, and the small screen that shows your white shape was all liney, the graphics also didn't look so bright. Put BOps in to see what that was like and was still liney once you get to the main menu.

No error code this time so what's wrong?Why has my Xbox picture has gone all liney?
First I'd find out what the shop previously fixed. That might help troubleshoot this time around.



That said though, E74 is trouble with a big "T". It could be the scaler chip issue which is located by the video input but it could also be a cable issue. If you haven't tried a different video cable, make sure you do so.



This error can also be related directly to the GPU and can be a result of the heat problems that the earlier 360s had. This was covered under the 3-year warranty but, of course, your're out of luck on that one. For this, you could try the X-clamp fix but that would be a shot in the dark.



Personally, I wouldn't invest any more money into it. Though it will pain your wallet, I would buy one of the new Xbox 360 Slims.Why has my Xbox picture has gone all liney?
Groan. E74 is a problem. My screen turned green rather than liney. I cycled mine like you did and the graphics were no longer green but, some pixels were fouled. Not long after, I got permanent E74.

I tried some of the online fixes and they were only temporary. From what I've read, E74 is about the worst error because it's random and difficult to fix.

If it's under warranty, send it in. Otherwise, I think it's parts.

After addition:
If it was just two months ago, your fix might be warranted.

No comments:

Post a Comment