Thursday, January 12, 2012

Florida boating - How can I get a title and registar my boat?

First of all, it didn't come with a title and its a 1973 16' dumpy sailboat that I only paid $200 bucks for... Also, I'm aware that Florida law states any boat 16' and undrer, I don't need to have it registered or titled so long as I don't put a motor on it.. No problem... However, I want something that can prove I own it in case someone steals it or takes. I'll be leaving it on a mooring out in the harbour.. A bill of sale ( which I have and the Craiglist advert ) isn't going to cut the mustard here. The old owner is no where to be located. Whats the loop-hole if known? ThanksFlorida boating - How can I get a title and registar my boat?
There should be a serial number on the hull somewhere. Either embedded in the fiberglass/gel coat or on an embossed tag, similar to a VIN on your car.



Not that you need to, but if you were to insure it, the insurance company would want that number, and in turn would create some documentation that ties you to the craft.



I insure my canoe for theft/loss and it costs a couple bucks a month (in addition to homeowner/auto/fire etc)Florida boating - How can I get a title and registar my boat?
if you have a bill of sale you can get it registered in a non title state and then re register it in fla. who will then issue you a new title

No comments:

Post a Comment